- Internaciona Legal Consultant
- Member of the Board of US/Africa Business Center - US Chamber of Commerce.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the beer beverage Nocal from Castel
- President of the Audit Council - Banco Caixa Angola
- President of the Banco Prestígio Council
- Maria Luísa Abrantes, PHD in Public Finance (Finantial Law) and Economics Law, was born in Luanda, Angola.
- She completed her post-graduate studies in International Finance, Executive Business, Economics International Law, Finance Law, Business Lidership and oil Contract Negotiation at Georgetown University and Harvard University, Graduate Business Schools in US, São Paulo University, Law School, in Brazil, Lusíada, Lisbon Universities, Law Schools, in Lisbon, Portugal, and International Law Institute, in Washington, D.C., US.
- Maria Abrantes is an experienced businesswomen and an international consultant who has been actively involved in the economic reforms carried out in Angola.
- She is Member of the Board of Directors, of the United States/Africa Business Center of the US Chamber of Commerce since 2016, a “tink tank” were the most influential American and African companies are represented by its CEO.
- She is the President of the General Assembly of the Banco Prestígio in Angola, since 2015.
- Maria Abrantes is the President of the Audit Council of the “Banco Caixa Geral de Angola”, a Portuguese/Angolan bank, since 2009.
- She is member of the Board of Directors, of NOCAL, a CASTEL GROUP beer company since 2010.
- She is a part-time Professor at Agostinho Neto University, Law School, for PHD and Master Degrees.
- She is a guest International arbitrator by the International Court of Arbitration – ICC in Paris, France, since 1997.
- She was appointed in 2014 as Secretary of State for Foreign Investment and National Investment.
- Jeune Afrique has referred Maria Abrantes, as the 4th most influent woman in the African Continent among 20 women, in March 2014, and in July 2018, jointly with “The Africa Report” and the “Africa Business Forum”, referred her as one of the most 50 influent women in Africa.
- In 2011, she becomes the President and Chairperson of the Board of Directors for the Angola Foreign and Private Investment Agency – ANIP.
- Prior, since 1999, she was the Trade Representative to the USA for ANIP, and member of the Diplomatic Attachés Committee for Environment, Agriculture and Fisheries.
- From 1990-93, she was Director of ANIP in Angola and one of those pioneering the privatization process and fiscal reforms to drive on the Economic sectors.
- From 1993 to 1995, she was the Representative and member of the Board of Directors for the beer company Heineken at Nocal and Eka beverage factories in Angola, (Luanda and Dondo).
- Between 1986-90, she helped the approval of projects for Africa worth thousands of dollars, as member of the Board of Directors of the CDE-ACP/EU (ACP/EU Corporate Development Center) in Brussels.
- From 1984 to 1987, as Angolan Secretary-General of the National Committee of UNIDO, she contributed to the innovation of the aid projects package for UN development projects.
- She was also a member of the A.C.P./UE. (European Union) Technical and Administrative Unity Management Board in Luanda, Angola, and interface for the Ministry of Industry in the SADC.
- She has participated in numerous Conferences, Seminars, Lectures, Radio, TV debates, and Mixed Committees.
- As a member of the Advisory Board for the Harvard University MBA Program, in 1998, she oriented Master´s Degree students with their thesis on projects for attracting micro-credit funds to Mexico and Morocco.
- She was advisor of a Cambridge University PHD candidate, with his thesis on the support of the Angolan Banking System, to the micro, small and middle size entreprises.
- She was a consultant of the Ministry of Mining Malasia to Angola, 1999.
- In the past, for 16 years, she worked in Angola as Assistant Director to the Deputy Prime Minister´s Cabinet for the Produtive Area, and for the Minister of Provincial Coordination, as Interim-National Director of Industry, Director of International Relations at the Ministry of Industry, Energy, Geology and Mining, as Head of the Foreign Investment Department at the Ministry of Planning, as Head of the Economic and Financial Department et the Industry and Basic Chemicals Direction.
- Maria Luísa Abrantes received an international award during the 7th Global Business Women´s Conference in New Delhi, India in 2000, and the Woman Entrepreneur of the Year 2000 Award, endorsed by the American National Fundation for Women´s Legislators, Order of Women´s Legislators, in conjunction with the BWN – Business Women´s Network.
- In 2002 the Reverend Sullivan Award was bestowed on her by both, OIC International and the World Bank Club, in recognition for the work developed on behalf of the women and the children of Africa.
- In 2003 she received the “Oneness-Heart” distinction from “ The Peace Meditation ate the United Nations”, Sri Chinmoy.
- In 2004 she was nominated to the CARE INSTITUTE Award, Washington D.C., E.U.A. 2004.
- In 2014 she received the Africa Round Table, award for her contribution to the Africa development.
- In 2007 she received the Women International Trade- WITT Commitment award, and in 2015 received the WITT Lifetime Achievement Award, and the “Angola 35º Graus” Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Maria Luísa Abrantes is a member of the American Society of International Law, the American Bar Association, the Angolan Bar Association, the Portuguese Bar Association, twice Board member of WIIT-Women in International Trade, in the U.S. She is also a life member of the National Bar Association, the Southern Law Center for Poverty, Alabama, U.S., International Amnesty, and Honorary Educator of the St Joseph Indian School, S. Dakota, U.S.
PUBLICATION AND ACADEMIC WORKS
- Private Comparative Law, Luanda, Angola, 2018/2019
- Retrospective Luanda, Angola, 2018.
- Reflections on Foreign Direct Investment, Luanda, Angola, 2015.
- Privatization of the Angola State Entreprises, Angola Law School at Agostinho Neto University, 2011.
- The Relationship between the European Union and the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Countries, Law School, Library, Lisbon University, Portugal, 1994, and Agostinho Neto University, Law School, Luanda, Angola 2004.
- Game Theory and the Oligopolies, Lisbon, Law School, Library, Lisbon University, Portugal, 1994, and Agostinho Neto University, Law School, Luanda, Angola, 2004
- Brochures on How to Invest in Angola, ANIP, Luanda, Angola, (1999 to 2015).
- Brochures on the Angola Economic Legislation in English and Portuguese, ANIP, Luanda, Angola, (1996 to 2016).
- Brochure on Mineral Resources in Angola, ANIP, Luanda, 2013.
- Brochure on Mining Legislation, GIE, Luanda, 1992.
- Updating of Economic Legislation of Law and Economics – Luanda, Angola- 1990-93.
- Angola, Risks and Environment for Foreign Investment, Georgetown University, Business School, Library, Washington D.C., 1996.
- Angola- Possibilities of Cooperation with the U.S., Georgetown University, Business School, Library, Washington D.C., U.S., 1995.
- She was member of the Board of Honor of the Progresso do Sambizanga Football (Soccer) Club from 1991-93 in Luanda, Angola.
- Portuguese – Excellent (speaking and writing)
- English – Proficient ( speaking and writing)
- French – Proficient ( speaking and writing)
- Spanish – Proficient ( speaking and writing)
- Deutsch – Regular (writing).
Two times PALOP (Portuguese-Speaking countries) female basketball champion in 1967/68.
– PHD in Economics and Financial Law, Law School, “Universidade Lusíada”, Lisbon, Portugal, 2010
– Master Degree in Economics Law, Law School, “Universidade de Lisboa “, Lisbon, Portugal, 1997
– Certificate Programs:
- International Development and Economics Law, Law School, Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil, 1998/1999.
- Leading Business, Harvard Business School, Harvard University, Boston, USA, 1997.
- International Business, Georgetown Business School, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C., 1996/97.
- International Finance, Georgetown Business, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C., USA, 1995/96.
- Oil Contracts Negotiation, International Law Institute and Georgetown University, Washington, D.C., USA, 1990.
- Juris Doctor, Universidade Agostinho Neto, Luanda, Angola, 1984.
- Psychology, ISPA, Lisboa Portugal, 1970/1973 (Associate Degree).
– President of the Audit Council of the “Banco Caixa Angola”, a Portuguese/Angolan bank, since 1992.
– Member of The Board of Directors of NOCAL, from the beverage Groupe CASTEL, Luanda, Angola, since 2010
– Member of the Board of Directors of the US/Africa Business Center of the US Chamber of Commerce, Washington, D.C., USA, since 2016
– Professor, Universidade Agostinho Neto´s School of Law and Universidade Nova de Lisboa joint PhD program, Luanda, Angola
– Member of the WIIT- Women in International Trade and twice its Board member, Washington, D.C. , USA, since 1999